1953 – 1961: The Pentecostal Church of Jesus Christ began on September 21, 1953. The early church was located at 701 West Smith Street. Founder Hattie Mae Jordon, an ordained evangelist from Morgan Park Assembly Church in Chicago, IL served as the church’s first pastor. Pastor Jordan was a spirit-filled and God-fearing woman. Her ambitious and strict ways birthed “Holy Ghost” filled services.
The church services were described as high in the spirit and full of soul searching saints. The word went out through the city. People came and marveled at the miraculous healings and holiness preaching. Shortly afterward the church experienced rapid growth. “Mother Jordan” as she was fondly called, was a pastor with a vision. She and her laymen helped fulfill her vision of the expansion of the church. Under her leadership, the church relocated to property at 823 SW Jefferson Street. In 1959, an aging Pastor Jordan developed health issues and became gravely ill. She moved back to Chicago, IL where she transitioned in May of 1961.
1959 – 1962: District Elder Ervin Turner was an anointed and powerful teacher and preacher.
In 1952, he was ordained an elder with the Pentecostal Assemblies of the World, Inc.
Soon afterward, he was sent to pastor Antioch Temple in Danville, Illinois.
In 1959, Elder Turner became the second pastor of the Pentecostal Church of Jesus Christ.
Later, he founded and pastored the All Nation Pentecostal Church of Jesus Christ, Inc. for over 40 years.
In 1972, he was appointed to the position of District Elder over District #6 in the
Illinois District Council.
District Elder Turner’s life was devoted to the work of the Lord. He enjoyed winning souls, singing hymns and serving God’s people. He made his transition on February 14, 2003. District Elder Ervin Turner is remembered for his provocative preaching and teaching style.
1962 – 2008: Suffragan Bishop Val Johnson served as the third pastor of the Pentecostal Church of Jesus Christ, Inc. Pastor Johnson was a man of integrity and humility. He preached under the anointing with a distinctive preaching style.
Pastor Johnson’s vision for the church was to become a meaningful light in the community, ministering to the spiritual, educational and social needs of our community. Under his leadership, the ministry was expanded to the WVEL 1140 radio listening audiences. Many souls were baptized, filled with the Holy Ghost and church growth increased. Under his Pastor Johnson’s leadership, a new edifice was built and expanded. The current church is located at 401 Elm Street.
During his pastorate, he was elevated to the position of District Elder and ultimately to the office of Suffragan Bishop of the Illinois District Council. He served under the auspice of Bishop Arthur M. Brazier. He remained a faithful leader through the conferring of his Doctoral Degree in Theology.
On December 31, 2008, during the Annual Watch Night Service, Bishop Val Johnson retired from the ministry, handing the torch to his successor and a lifelong member, Elder Henry L Bolden II. On Sunday, September 7, 2014, the Honorable Bishop Val Johnson transitioned from earth to glory.
2009 – Present: On March 22, 2009, District Elder Henry L Bolden II was officially installed as the fourth pastor of the Pentecostal Church of Jesus Christ, Inc.